Mountain Biking – Val D’Orcia 8 Days
Stay at a quintessential Tuscan Estate with onsite wellness resort & organic food production. The restaurant serves entrees prepared primarily with their own local produce. This Self-guided Individual Cycling Tour offers you 8 Days of: Visit the natural, artistic & cultural treasures of the Val d’Orcia, on the UNESCO heritage list. Wonderful landscapes, wide open fields, cypress-lined hills and vineyards. Incredibly well preserved Medieval and Renaissance villages & hilltop towns. Peaceful country roads, friendly Tuscans and delicious regional culinary specialties. Level of difficulty: 2
Upon arrival in Buonconvento, transfer to your accommodations, the farm located in the countryside. A Tuscan dinner awaits you! If you have rented bikes, they will be waiting for you.
Bike through the eroded clay landscape, the “badlands”. Later, within the thick woods of the Crete Senesi, enter the renowned monastery of Monte Oliveto Maggiore. Follow a winding route through woodlands on top of clay cliffs. Challenge: 23.6 km; 550m climb or 17.3 km; 300m climb.
Enjoy a ride on narrow trails by the Crevole River, then up a former mining railway track to Murlo. Cycle along steep cliffs. Continue down rocky tracks with some nice technical sections on route to La Befa. Return amidst an enchanting oak forest. Challenge: 27.2 km; 500m climb.
Today take a long descent above the Asso valley then on sand tracks gazing over enchanting 360 degree views of Southern Tuscany’s landscape. Follow an ancient pilgrimage route to the fortified medieval town of San Quirico d’Orcia. On the way back, encounter a serene lake and charming church surrounded by unusually high cypresses. Challenge: 24.5 km; 500m climb.
Follow a quintessential Tuscan gravel road down until you reach a serene pond and tiny church. Reach the hidden, half-abandoned “animal farm”. Continue, underneath steep cliffs, along a fresh stream, and surrounded by dense woods, this is an alluring, passionate setting. A long winding climb leads you back to San Quirico. Challenge: 22.6 km; 500m climb.
Cycle through an oak forest rich in wild life. Follow uphill; ride some pebbly hairpin curves into the Orcia valley, then along wooded river banks until you enter the medieval hamlet of Bagno Vignoni, with its healing baths, home to the legendary water nymphs. Challenge: 14.2 km 450m climb.
Ride across an arched medieval bridge and past the Tuoma stream where the road climbs and opens, revealing breathtaking views. A winding road leads you past isolated villages and along an extensive row of cypress trees to the stunning Sant’Anna in Camprena monastery. Continue on to Pienza. Return to San Quirico on a delightful strada bianca. Challenge:39.1km; 600m climb.
Pedal to the heart of the Brunello wine district. Then steep ride up to Montalcino and visit its magnificent 14th century fortress and Palazzo Comunale. With the Monte Amiata volcano silhouetted behind, cycle along olive groves and vineyards until you reach the “badlands”. Challenge: 32.7 km; 650m climb.
After breakfast, arrivederci Val d’Orcia!
Dates & Prices:
- Code: SCMBV015
- Dates: Apr to Oct 2015
- From: $1079.00 CAD p.p. based on double
- Duration: 8 Days / 7 Nights
Self-guided Individual Cycling Tour; Level of difficulty: 2
- 7 nts accommodation with private en-suite bathrooms; 4 nts in an organic farmhouse with wellness center, spa, horse riding center, superb restaurant & both outdoor & indoor pool. 3 nts in a comfortable 3* hotel with swimming pool.
- Arrival transfer from the train station of Buonconvento to Fattoria Pieve a Salti and departure transfer from Fattoria Pieve a Salti back to the Buonconvento train station
- 7 breakfasts & 4 dinners at the Fattoria Pieve a Salti (excluding drinks)
- Luggage transfer on days 4 and 7
- 24-hour telephone assistance
- Detailed road book and maps
- Flights and public transport
- Bike rental
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Admissions and entrance fees of any kind
- Tips and gratuities
- Personal extras and expenses such as meals, phone calls, beverages during meals.
- City tax at hotel (per person per night, to be paid locally). Amount subject to change
- Any item that has not been mentioned in the “Included”.
- 21 speed MTB bike, helmet, puncture repair kit, pump, lock and map holder (bike is picked up and dropped off at the first/last accommodation)
- Transfer to and from your airport of arrival or place of stay
- Beauty/wellness treatments at the estate
- Single room supplement
- Guided city tour of the towns you visit during the rides with a local city guide
- Additional nights during the trip or at any other destination in Italy including Siena, Florence, or Rome
We’re eager to hear from you!
Contact our Professional & Expert Team to assist you:
TOLL FREE: 1.866.370.2277 or TEL: 250.764.3039
Price per person in CAD Dollars. Price indicative of Euro Exchange, CAD price subject to change.
Minimum 2 passengers. Rates & hotel availability subject to change.
High season surcharges may apply.