Archeo Trekking ~ 4 Days
- Viterbo, City of the Popes, Rock Carved Etruscan Necropolises of Castel D’Asso & Norchia, Fascinating Archaeological Park of Sutri, Suggestive Hermitages on River Fiora.
- Tour - Operates All Year, Best During March to November
- Tour Code: ATITCF19
Itinerary - click for more
Tuscia’s territory is hilly, dotted with valleys, volcanic lakes, rivers, archaeological sites and villages perched atop of cliffs surrounded by an extremely green and unspoiled nature. Due to its richness in terms of natural environment and historical sites reachable by walking paths, the area is the perfect for archeo-trekking.
DAY 1: Arrival in Viterbo, check in and departure to the Etruscan Necropolis of Castel d’Asso (about 5 km). Dating back to late 4th and 2nd century BC, rock-cut necropolis set deep in a tuff valley with some of the best preserved tombs in all of ancient Etruria. Gourmet picnic on the ruins of the medieval castle of Castel d’Asso. Return to Viterbo through fascinating rock-cut Etruscan ways of the area.
Day 2: Departure to Farnese, a little medieval village set atop a hill near the border with Tuscany. This is where you start your hike along the River Fiora, through a landscape that remains wild and unspoilt, to reach the Hermitages on River Fiora (about 4 km). The rock-curved hermitages are the places where the hermits of old would retreat in solitude and prayer. Gourmet picnic on the shores of River fiora. Return to Farnese (about 4 km) and to Viterbo by minivan.
Day 3: Departure by minivan to Capranica. From the village you’ll walk a stage of the Via Francigena, Capranica-Sutri (about 8 km). The Via Francigena is the ancient road during the middle age lead the pilgrims to Rome. The medieval village of Sutri’s Archaeological Park featuring a Roman theatre, a mitreum and Etruscan tombs. Lunch at an authentic restaurant in Sutri featuring local dishes. Return to Viterbo by minivan.
Day 4: Departure by minivan to Vetralla, a medieval borgo, and start a hike toward the Etruscan Necropolis of Norchia. An archaeological site that has even produced prehistoric finds, Norchia features a series of terraced Etruscan tombs in what is now a lush natural setting. Lunch at an authentic restaurant in Vetralla featuring local dishes. Return to Viterbo by minivan and departure.
The itinerary can be slightly modified according to the selected accommodation, the arrival and departure time of the guests.
- Rome airport or hotel arrival / departure transfers
- 4 nights double room B&B or Agriturismo
- Lunches as mentioned
- Transportation during the activities in program
- Menus include beverages and can be adapted to special dietary needs upon request
- Flights, gratuities, city tax (paid locally)
- Personal items & expenses and items not listed as included
2019 Rates & Dates
- Tour Operates All Year - Best During March to November
Hotel or Similar
- Viterbo Historical Center: Elegant Historical B&B’s or Mini - Apartment
- Viterbo Countryside: Charming Agriturismo with Swimming Pool
Rates are per person in CAD ($) and indicative of Euro price, subject to change. Minimum 2 passengers.
All rates and hotel availability subject to change. High season surcharges may apply.